The Walstraat Synagogue
Initially available to the chill from 1839 on a synagogue in Riemsdijk Street, housed on the top floor of a tobacco house of Jacob’s family. By the heirs of the family were late in 1800 sold various assets. The warehouse would go the same way.
It was decided to build a new synagogue. The board still had a legacy of fl. 2000, -, received in 1866 from the estate of Meijer Hartog van de Burgt from Opheusden.
In 1901, the first reports about the construction plans in the local newspaper.
Since the available capital was not enough, the women’s association took chaired by Ms R. Cozijn-Frankfort initiative through a sign-up to raise the missing funds. And with success! The mayor Mr. Hesselink van Suchtelen from Wageningen, which was very popular in Jewish circles, poured f 400, -.
Thanks to this mayor did the collaboration with the municipality excellent.
Beginning in August 1902 was the chilly access to a piece of leasehold land in Slangegat at the end of the Walstraat. The local architect Rijk de Vries made a drawing. The approvals followed quickly, so tender in Hotel World could already take place on August 6, 1902. The lowest bidder was F. van den Brink from Bennekom for f 3636, -.
Friday, October 10, 1902 laid the oldest board member / treasurer Salomon Glasbeek, the first stone. Construction went smoothly.
In the presence of Chief Rabbi L. Wagenaar from Arnhem could be the shul in use on Sunday, March 29th, 1903.
For Secretary Michael van der Horst was the day of his life. He had the fire got out of slippers for the creation of the synagogue.
After the departure of the last rabbi in 1921, the synagogue was not used weekly. Only on Atonement and New Year came the dwindling chilly together. In the last years before 1940, the doors remained closed throughout the year. The shul began to expire. Up came the May days …….
The architecture of the sjoel exhibited a number of elements from the Dutch Renaissance. The design drawings differ from the results of the construction, as some photos are read.
It was a hall-like building of approximately 7.50 x 12 meter equipped with a gable roof and probably covered with mesh slate. The building was constructed in brick comprises a number of light-colored limestone bands. In the facade windows were located cast-iron with diagonally positioned squares. The façade, Walstraat side, gave the impression to give access to the shul. However, it was a pseudo input. In the restored synagogue in Kampen this is still clearly visible.
The actual entrance was on the south facade (Haute side). In the doorway stood the entrance to the hall. From this portal wife shul was reached by a staircase. Among them was the community room.
The synagogue had forty men seats against the back wall stood a foreign bank popularly called “poor bank”.
The Ark stood against the wall where it was pseudo input.
The area was covered with a stucgewelf. For lighting made some gaskroontjes. Unfortunately, there is no interior photographs.
As a result of the shelling from the Grebbeberg of the Dutch army in the town of Wageningen in May 1940, went to the synagogue in flames. And unfortunately, the archives of the cold, which was stored in the church room. From building the blackened walls with remnants of the windows were intact: for the children of the nearby school an attractive but dangerous playground. Public Works, who had his hands full clearing rubble, contacted the police, who in turn warned the head of the school. In a few simple rules can be read in this daily report to the police Wednesday, June 19, 1940. For the duty officer of the synagogue was just ‘the Jewish Church. Shortly after the ruins were demolished. The synagogue had become history. A few pictures of the burned building reminds us of May 1940.