Regional Jewish Cemetery
Between Veerstraat and Gen. Foulkesweg lies in a depression of the old Jewish cemetery. The path along the cemetery called Kerkhofpad but in Wageningen called Jodehucht. The cemetery is a national monument since 1967.
On July 28, 1668 Wageningen, the magistrate has granted a request by Isaac Adolphs de Jode. He wanted to operate a metropolitan Bank Loan and requested an own cemetery for his family and fellow believers outside Wageningen. For this “a eerlijcke plaets given in sandcuil ‘was outside the city walls” Daer he sijn dead sal mooghen buried income using gewoonlijkcke ceremonies.
The cemetery was built in one of the old quarries (the sandcuil) on the east side of the city at the foot of the mountain Wageningen. The Veerstraat became known as the wegh after the Sant Kuijlen “the second half of the 17th century. In the 18th century was in the quarry also the ‘Stadsbleik’ which apparently part as cemetery was in use.
In the early nineteenth century, the cemetery was increased by one meter ground after the existing stones were laid flat. This gave rise to a new cemetery on the already existing. The reason for this measure was probably dar there was no possibility for expansion.
In 1874 the wooden fence was replaced by the current fence. A metaarhuisje for ritual body washing was built. After the closure of the cemetery in 1929 metaarhuisje was demolished.
This cemetery is the oldest intact Jewish cemetery in rural areas (= outside the big cities). In 1967, the cemetery was placed on the National List of protected monuments. In 1988 followed an extensive restoration.