Wageningen and its Jewish inhabitants
Since 1567 there has been Jewish life in our city Wageningen. Meister Heyman de Joode received a residence permit. He was a doctor and holder of the Bank Loan. In 1570 he had to leave by order of Alva Wageningen and Gelredome. His possessions were confiscated. In 1571 left another three Jewish families Wageningen suffer the same Alva.
In 1610 Adolph lived Abrams, probably from Krefeld, recently in our city. His son Isaac Adolphs rented a house in the Rue Neuve in 1634. He was grazier, like his brother Jacob in Gelderland Veenendaal. Isaac leased in 1668 the Urban Bank Loan. Until 1881, with a brief interruption, the Bank was owned by Jews. Neuve was called until 1875 Jode- or Jeude Street. Isaac Adolphs in 1667 was given a piece of land in the Town Turned out the city allocated for him, his family and other Jews outside Wageningen. The Regional cemetery still exists. Surrounding country in 1810 she was full and therefore could no longer be held funerals. The existing bricks were deposited, and the whole was increased by a few meters sand.
In 1929 to reach the cemetery through the Veerstraat, declared closed. In 1967 she became a listed monument. A restoration took place. The Jewish cemetery on the Diedenweg is still in use.
In the 18th century spent 3 or 4 families. One was that of Samuel Jonas Marcus, in the then Achterstraat now Heerenstraat, bought a house. Restaurant H’eerlijk at no. 47 does have a 19th-century façade, but Samuel lived, as the black stone indicates the sidewalk.
The Jews in the 18th century Wageningen were meat cutters, graziers and professionals in the tobacco trade. There was a board. The French spent more time freedom. In 1810 there were 42 Jews in our city. Two Jewish residents of Randwijk “went to church” in Wageningen. From 1837 there was the tobacco warehouse of the Jacobs family-Hymans a synagogue.
Ca. Wageningen 1870, there were 105 Jews, most of whom were affiliated to the Jewish community. Like everywhere, attracted Jews from Wageningen to the big city. The synagogue was destroyed in May 1940 in the Walstraat was commissioned in 1903. After 1925 they hardly served. The naturalness go to shul was no longer present. Several families left Wageningen, include the Van Embden family. A well-known Jewish family in our town was the Van der Horst, living in Bergstraat.
The 1940-1945 war decimated the Jewish community of Wageningen and surroundings. In 1940 there were 40 Jews, including some students. Including the environment, the community 182 souls strong. From fend them deported about 71, including a number of refugees from Germany. They never came back unfortunately. Reminder was placed in the Memorial Walstraat The Life Gate, designed by Yetty Elzas.
After 1945 there was hardly active Jewish life. In 1987 the Jewish community was dissolved and added to Arnhem. Currently there are about 10 Jews in Wageningen.
Wageningen, June 2013